Thursday, April 5, 2012

Interior decorating

This past year has been one of discovery for me. I discovered I love to run. I discovered I love fashion. I discovered how to find a happy balance between being a mother, wife, freelance instructional designer, a member of the LDS church, and an individual.

Most recently, I have discovered how much I love interior design. It is a little like scrapbooking only instead of using paper, I get to use textiles and paint.

Our soon-to-be new home is absolutely beautiful. The sellers have kept it immaculate and have decorated it tastefully. The only room I want to change is our bedroom. We are officially retiring our IKEA queen sized bed frame held together with wood glue and clamps (yeah . . . high class here at our house) to our new guest room and purchasing a bedroom set and new bedding along with painting our walls.

After some browsing online, here is the look I am going for:




Love the splash of reddish / coral color with the contrasting blue. Love the white duvet which makes the room feel so fresh and clean. Love the rug and the stools at the end of the bed. Love the use of both blue and gray in the paint.

Here are a few things I have bought so far:


Hadley Ruched Sham - Pottery Barn



Beige/Red Flowing Branch Square Pillow - Target


This is the duvet cover I want for our bed (only with silver sage stitching instead of gray) but I do not want to pay what Restoration Hardware charges. Wondering if I can find a knock-off somewhere for cheap? Or maybe even just buy a white duvet cover and add my own edging?



Can't wait to hit the discount stores, like Home Goods, now to find nightstands, lamps and other throw pillows. And to find a bed frame and dresser. . .

What do you think? Any suggestions? Comments are most welcome.

5 comments:

  1. Great choices -- love those colors! As for the bedding, a lot of vendors refer to that look (white with colored piping/stitching/edging) as some version of "hotel collection." Macy's has a line, as do several other major retailers.

    Overstock.com is always good to check -- a quick Google search for "hotel bedding" turned up this three-piece Queen set for only $49: http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bath/Hotel-Embroidered-Green-3-piece-Full-Queen-size-Duvet-Cover-Set/5249726/product.html. As for the headboard, there are a bunch of online tutorials for upholstering padded headboards. It's pretty simple to make your own -- you can even affix it directly to wall and just get a cheap-o metal bedframe.

    Have fun -- can't wait to see your "after" pics! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! We may have to share notes. We're in a decorating phase that I feel totally overwhelmed by. I have no design skill, talent or experience. Yikes! It sounds like you started by browsing pics on the net (pintrest?). Is that a good place to start?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest. Just keep looking at pictures until things catch your eyes. Also, I looked at higher end stores online to get some ideas - Like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc. HGTV has some great shows from what I hear. Also, someone told me to go to a fabric store, find a piece of fabric you like (colors, design, etc.) and then decorate your room based on the fabric. If I find some other good sources I will let you know.

      Delete
    2. Houzz.com is another great one I found. :)

      Delete
  3. Love love those colors. Reminds me of this: http://pinterest.com/pin/222928250274583255/

    ReplyDelete