Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Running Fool

I used to think anyone who enjoyed running was a crazy fool. Why would anyone want to engage in such a monotonous sport that was so hard on your knees and feet and was basically torture?

Then my SIL talked me into preparing to run a 5K with her. I thought - why not? Could add it to my "bucket list" of 2011.

I reluctantly started to run. (Or I should say slog.) Sometimes I hated it. Occasionally I found it enjoyable. More often than not I tolerated it. I was never ever able to make the whole 5K distance without walking.


Me before my first race.
And then the day of the 5K arrived. I thought of every excuse of how I could get out of it, especially since it meant I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. But I went and ran my first. I RAN all 3.6 miles without stopping once. And the sense of accomplishment along with the adrenaline rush of the race is addicting.

So I am adding "jogging" to my list of interests as I prepare for my next 5K. I love when we sometimes surprise ourselves in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment