Friday, September 30, 2011

Prepared

Two Sundays ago, Lance had a meeting with our Stake President. We didn't think much of it - we just assumed he was going to be released from his calling. When he came walking toward me after his meeting, his face ashen and sweaty, I became a little worried. We were both shocked to find out he had been called to be a counselor in our ward's bishopric. (The best way to describe that is a volunteer associate pastor over a congregation.) NOT what we were expecting at all especially since Lance is relatively young and there are so many qualified and righteous men in our ward.

I find it hard to describe how we have felt over these past few weeks. Humbled. A little nervous. Honored that the Lord has that kind of trust in Lance. This calling is a much bigger responsibility than his previous one and will require more of Lance's time, including more time away from our family.

More than anything, I am amazed at the Lord's hand in our lives. As we talked about his new calling and what it would mean for our family, I could not deny how the Lord has prepared our family, and specifically me, for this. Like in March when I was prompted to stop working. Or when we decided that we needed to really work on our family's spirituality in June - making sure Lance came home every Monday for FHE and that we read scriptures and prayed together every single day as a family without fail. Or when I decided just this month I really needed to eliminate unnecessary distractions in my life so I could be a better mother to my children. Or how just this month I have, after five years of my husband working, come to peace with the demanding schedule a lawyer must keep.

This is just another confirmation on how the Lord is all knowing and will never forget us. He knows us and what we will need. Whom He calls, He prepares. What a sacred and beautiful experience this has been for our family.

Now for me to survive sacrament meetings (our worship service) alone in the pew with my kids. I must publicly apologize now to our ward members. It may not be pretty but most likely entertaining.

3 comments:

  1. It is wonderful to be able to see the Lord's hand in our lives. I know your family will continue to be blessed. Thanks for sharing this fun and exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he will do great -- and so will you! What a blessing for your family! (Also, I've learned that age has absolutely nothing to do with the extending of callings. Blake is the oldest member of our bishopric, and he's only 30!)

    It's hard being husband-less on Sundays, but it's doable. One thing that has helped me is making sure I sit somewhere strategic -- either near people who can help me, or away from people who would distract the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to Lance on his new calling! I know it will bring many blessings to your lives. Try and get an in with the youth or someone who can come sit with your other one if you need to take one out. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete