Monday, November 14, 2011

Parenting Tips from the Horse Whisperer

If you haven't seen Buck, the Sundance documentary on Buck Brannaman, a bonafide horse whisperer, you should.

Now, I wouldn't call myself a horse person. Nothing against them - just haven't had much exposure over my life. In fact, the only reason I went to see the movie is because it came highly recommended by a good friend. In the end, I was mesmerized and inspired.

Synopsis: Buck Brannaman - a man whose abuse as a child will bring you to tears - overcame the abuse and is now one of the most well-known horse trainers in the business. He can take any almost any challenging horse and within a matter of a day, have them obeying orders without any force whatsoever. As interesting as his work was with the horses, what sold me on this film was his wisdom and insight into parenting and human beings.

Thanks to good ol' Netflix, I have watched it two more times since the theater and actually took copious notes. See, I have a little wild stallion of my own under my roof and I am always searching for better ways to cultivate my beautiful yet stubborn little creature as opposed to breaking her spirit. I have inserted in "children" below wherever Buck referred to "horses" in the film.

Parenting Tips & Life Lessons I learned from Buck
  1. Kids don't need you to be their best friend. They need you to be a parent first.
  2. Everybody has a burden to bear of some sort.
  3. There is a difference between being firm and hard. Firm requires obedience with a soft hand - hardness requires obedience with harshness and instills fear.
  4. You should always treat your children with humanity and a gentleness of spirit.
  5. Children just need a job to do.
  6. Children need to know what is expected of them.
  7. Bribery doesn't work - it will create contemptuous children.
  8. Parents need to control their emotions when disciplining their children.
  9. Children learn from mistakes. They shouldn't dread making mistakes so they fear what happens if they do.
  10. You need to discipline and encourage. Not discipline and discourage.
  11. Build your children up. Make them feel good about themselves.
  12. Live in the moment.
  13. Children are a mirror to your soul. Sometimes you may not like what you see. . . Sometimes you will!
Talk about an eye-opener for me. Lots to think about and work on.

Inspired yet to watch this film? You will thank me.

2 comments:

  1. I just read about this movie somewhere else the day before I read your post. Sounds very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard just recently from others that this movie is wonderful. I guess I should go watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete