Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Good Work Ethic


I am all about teaching a good work ethic to my family.  Nothing bothers me more than people *without* a good work ethic.  Instilling this in my family is high on my priority list.  (As high as learning the art of relaxation is on Lance's.)

Papa has his work during the day and a small laundry list of household chores that belong to him and only him.

Elisabeth is in charge of setting the table, feeding the dog (yet another reason Sofi is overweight), picking up her toys, and unloading the silverware when the dishwasher is done.  No, we are not breaking any childhood slavery laws.  She enjoys helping.  So I give into her whims to always help me cook, bake, and set the table at dinner time.  Realistically, I only have a few years before she realizes that she would rather be playing than working so I am taking full advantage of the joy she receives from helping me out.

For me, my chore list is never-ending, just like the mountain of laundry that sits at the end of our bed waiting to be folded.  One can only do so much.

Sofi is the laziest member of our household.  She sleeps most of the day and night, only waking for food, a walk, a few minutes of play every evening, and to move from the sofa to her bed to our bed throughout the day.

We have decided she needs to be assigned more responsibilities around the house.

First chore - babysitting.  As you can see, the role play with dolls seems to be going really well.

1 comment: