Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The art of waiting for baby

Well, I have officially gone past my "estimated due date" by two days.  I can't tell you how many people have asked me questions like the following:  "When is your induction date?"  "Had your baby yet?"  "Are you going to schedule a C-section?"  "When are you going to get this baby out?

I know everyone is well meaning but for the lady who is very great with child, these questions are not the most helpful.

Figure I would just throw my views on childbirth out there.

1.  "Over due" - One is not technically "overdue" until they are two weeks past their estimated due date.  The reason it is called an EDD is because doctors are just making a guess when the baby will be 40 weeks based on last menstrual cycle and size of the baby.  Babies are considered full-term any time between 37 and 42 weeks.  It is not a magical date when the baby will automatically appear.  So, this baby can still cook for another two weeks.  I know pregnant moms don't like to hear this but it is the truth.   I don't want to hear it either.  But it is what it is.

2.  Inductions - I am not for them, personally, unless there is medical problem with either me or the baby.  Sure I am miserable, not sleeping well, and feel as big as a whale BUT with inductions often comes three things I don't want - an epidural, medical interventions and sometimes, emergency c-sections.  I figure if I want a natural, vaginal childbirth, I need to let the baby come when both my body and the baby is ready.  Luckily, my doctor feels the same way and has told me over and over that she does not like to induce unless there is a medical necessity.  She insists that births seem to go much better when they start on their own.  Many doctors and moms don't follow this mantra.   Which is completely fine.  We all have to decide what works best for us.  I side with my doctor.

So, how do I deal with the unknown arrival of this baby?

I accept it.  Give it to God.  Keep telling myself she will come when she comes.  Why stress about things we can't control.

Then I continue my normal life routine.  Going to the gym, walking a lot, cleaning my house, playing with my kids, etc.  I also start a fun project.  This time around I am decorating our guest room to be Carsten's room, getting ready to move him into a "big boy bed" after grandma and grandpa leave the beginning of Feb. The bed in that room is a queen bed so it becomes a little trickier to find sheets/bed rails.

So far I have found him these sheets:


And this growth chart:




And these prints (with colors that are similar to his sheets) for his wall:


I can't wait to move him in to his room!!!  He is already carrying around a pillow case of his new sheets.

1 comment:

  1. CUTE bedroom stuff! I am glad you are patient with your babies...I agree, no sense trying to get them out before they are ready. She'll come when she's ready. In the mean time, glad you are enjoying life! <3

    ReplyDelete