Monday, November 19, 2012

Holding on to the things that matter most

A friend of mine lost her 7 week old baby to SIDs last week.

I attended the funeral on Saturday and my heart about broke when I saw the parents of the baby standing next to the little casket.  I broke down in sobs and have been crying ever since.  I can't even imagine the horror this family is going through and how that mother's arms must ache to hold her sweet baby again.  I have faith that there is a Father in Heaven who is watching over us and that they will see and hold their baby again.  I have faith they will eventually find peace through the Savior.  But I know that doesn't take away the horror of what just happened in their lives.

All this sweet friend said to me at the funeral was how grateful she was that I had referred my OBGYN to her three years ago.  She told me that the doctor had come to her home to visit her and comfort her not two days after her baby died.

I went in for my regular check-up today and the first thing I did was thank my doctor for showing such kindness to this family.  My doctor's eyes filled with tears as she began to share experiences she had over her patients losing babies in childbirth or in situations like these.  We cried together.  I said a prayer right there thanking God that this doctor was my friend's doctor and mine for that matter.  There are some wonderful and good hearted people in the world.

I went home straight from the funeral and held onto my own babies for dear life.  I have made an extra special effort to show them the utmost kindness and patience and have showered them with kisses daily.  I cherish them more than I have ever now that the reality that life is indeed short and our days are numbered is much more apparent.

The number of lbs I have gained this pregnancy are so insignificant.
Who the president is doesn't matter to me.
How much we pay in taxes doesn't really seem important.
Any other trivial worry or concern that used to be huge don't even register in my mind right now.

All I know is I have two sweet babies and another on the way.  No matter what I do in life, they along with my husband, are what matters most and I want to cherish every moment we have together.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your friend's loss. I'm going to squeeze my kids a little tighter today. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you a lot, Kristi.

    Looking forward to seeing you for Christmas Eve.
    Looking forward to welcoming new Baby Girl Smemoe in January.
    Love.

    ReplyDelete