Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog's Day Love Note

Lance sent me an email today with the title "Happy Groundhog's Day." The body of the message only included the following:
When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter.
Now to anyone else, this probably just appears to be a quote from Groundhog's Day, the movie. However, to me, it is a perfect expression of love from the fun-loving, goofy, nerdy, kind man I married. One of the things we have always loved to do together is watch movies for holidays. Whether it is for Christmas, New Years or Valentine's Day, we have a collection of good movies that we watch on the same day year after year. The first time I saw Groundhog's Day I wanted to shoot myself in the head. A movie about the same day that happened over and over again? ANNOYING to the nth degree. But Lance laughed hysterically at the movie - every single time he saw it - as though it was the first time he saw it. After 10 years, the movie has really become quite endearing and funny to me. I especially love how it makes him laugh. And hearing him laugh so unabashedly makes my heart so happy. So when I read this silly quote, I instantly smiled, chuckled at the though of him writing it out to me during his busy work day and heard his laughter in my head. It made me think that we have been watching this movie for 10 years and will be watching it for many more every February 2nd.

Comforting indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment