Thursday, June 9, 2011

Daddy's Girl

Elisabeth gave a new meaning to the phrase "Daddy's Girl" tonight.  Our bedtime conversation went something like this:

EB:  Mama, I want to call Papa and ask him someting.
Me:  Ok.
(We call Lance who is still working.)
Me:  Papa, Elisabeth has something she wants to ask you.
EB:  Papa, I want you to come marry me?
L:  What did she just say?
Me:  She just proposed.
(Both adults laugh.)
L:  Honey, that is sweet but you can't marry me.  I already married your Mama.
EB:  Nooooo!
Me:  Papa, tell her who your princess is.
L:  Mama is my princess.
EB:  Hysterical crying, sobbing, jumping up and down for at least 20 minutes.


When Lance got home two hours after her bed time, she called for him to come to her as soon as she heard the front door open.  After he tucked her in she said with much force and confidence:


"Papa, Mama isn't your princess.  I am your princess."

 I am thrilled our little girl looks up to her father and loves him this much. (Even if it means she scolds me anytime she senses I am not so happy with him.)  I hope this strong bond will still be there (though changed from wanting to marry him to just loving him as her father) when she is a teenager, a young adult and even when she is grown, married to her own prince and has children of her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment