Monday, July 23, 2007

Peer Pressure and Media Influence

Okay, as I have stated before, we are not a Harry Potter-crazed family. I have only read two of the books (One and Six). Lance isn't at all intersted in reading the books but loves to see the movies in the theater. I prefer to rent them because it is cheaper and I figure I can wait to see them. So, can someone explain why I all of the sudden can not wait to purchase the last HP book and read it non-stop until I finish it???? Is it because I shouldn't miss out on what the media claims to be the "end of an era"? Is it because almost every youth at church has already read it or almost finished? Maybe because my boss is reading it before she starts work in the a.m. and for a solid hour during her lunch break? Or maybe because I am re-reading the Beverly Lewis' Abram's Daughters Series for the third time and I need something new for my imagination to grasp onto? Or maybe, just maybe, I am a true Harry Potter fan and am just trying to squelch the secret desire to get lost in J.K. Rowling's make-believe world?

I think I will break down and go purchase it from Costco on the way home from work sometime this week. I am not even concerned what happens to Harry. I figure good will overcome evil and if he dies, he did a great thing for the greater good. If he lives, ah, well that will be alright as well. (Now I am probably creating enemies from all of the Harry lovers out there.)

My biggest and only concern is that Hermoine and Ron end up together. They better or I will forever be mad at J.K. Rowling!!!! (Not to mention will kick myself for purchasing a hardcover book when I could have waited a little while and get it much cheaper in paperback.)

6 comments:

  1. Been there. I used to be anti-Harry Potter books. Then I got peer pressured to read the books, and it had ruined all the movies for me ever since. I loved not knowing the storyline when I go see the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey now...If you're going to be cheap and wait to rent the movies, why not wait a couple of days and borrow the book from someone? That's what I'm doing! (Otherwise it would be next year before I could get it from the library...) I'm suprised that you're not a HP fan! They're a fun series. For another quick, fun read try the books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I just picked them up at a garage sale and they were fun -- and about a book per day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never even considered borrowing a book. Duh. Easy solution.

    As for why I haven't gotten into these books... They just came out at a time when I was too busy to read "for fun." Between college, my mom being sick, Lance in law school, etc., I really didn't start to read much fiction until last summer. I just never thought to pick up the series. I figured it would be a "one day later" idea.

    I love the Little House books. I own all of those in addition to all of the Anne of Green Gables. Now to find them in all of our book boxes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Break down, Kristi! Break down and go get yourself a copy! From what I've read of my copy so far, you won't regret it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Twilight, my fav book is at Target in the teen section for $8.99. Or you can wait for my copy to become available. I have the second book and book 3 comes out in a week or so. I have not jumped on the harry bandwagon yet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi we have every Harry Potter book, so if you want to go back and read from the start--have at! As much as I initially tried to resist it...I love the series.

    ReplyDelete