Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happily Ever After

I lay in bed on New Year's Eve at the late hour of 9 p.m. reviewing my year in my head.  I remembered, for some reason, that 16 years ago I had attended a Sunday church service at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for the first time in my life.  Funny enough, I was in Anaheim of all places when I did attend.  (Seeing as I am from Minnesota, attending church in SoCal for the first time is a little odd, is it not?) Our High School band took a trip to San Diego/Orange County to participate in the Holiday Bowl and do fun touristy things out here.  That was the beginning pages to the book titled My Life from Here.  Due to my parents dislike of the LDS church, I did not join it until I was 18 years old.  From 16 to 18 plus were dark times in my memory.  There was great turmoil at home with my family and within my heart and soul.  I couldn't see past the next month much less envision what my life would be like as a soon-to-be 32 year old.

I never foresaw me attending BYU or going on a mission to Finland.  I never imagined meeting my dear husband or marrying him in the temple.  I never saw my blond-haired, blue-eyed angel babies or seen myself trying to raise a family based on the teaching's of Jesus Christ.   I definitely never thought in my wildest dreams I would be living in Southern California - especially after hearing my mom tell me it was going to fall off into the ocean someday.  I never could imagine the blessings God had in store for me.

But here I am.  And I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.  Not the kind of happy where everything is perfect and exactly how you want it.  Because we are far from that type of bliss. Not the kind of happiness where there is an absence of heartbreak.  Because I have seen a good amount in the past 16 years and am sure I will see more in the years to come.  But the kind of happiness that fills your body full of peace and pours warmth out of your heart.  I feel like so many of my dreams have been fulfilled.  I followed my heart and joined a church that has taught me personally how to better follow our Savior.  I am married to a wonderful man.  I have two children whom I love more than anything.  I have both a bachelor's and master's degree.  I am surrounded by family and friends who are as close as family.  I am loved, I am safe, and I am healthy.

One of my favorite pictures from my wedding day almost 8 years ago.

Sometimes Happily Ever After does happen - even for a moment. 

Now to find another dream.

6 comments:

  1. You have made many of Lance's dreams come true also. You are such a wonderful Mother and Wife. We are all blessed to have you in our lives. Thank you for being the special person that you are. We love you to so much. It is fun to read Happily Ever After.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi - you and your family are so dear to my heart. Thank you for sharing your warmth and wisdom.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember you coming to church before you could be baptized...you were such a shining light even then! I remember thinking you must be super brave to be interested in the Church when your family wasn't so happy about it. I'm so glad you have a beautiful life...you certainly deserve it. I'm also glad to have found you again! Old friends are awesome! (Not that we're old...hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet¡ So glad that I got to know you along the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome post! I've been having the exact same thoughts lately. Notwithstanding lots of work left to do, I AM what I've been trying to become for a long time! I'm glad you were so brave to join the church, and go on a mission and to byu, so I could know you. You are fiercely righteous! (in a non-slang sort of way) :)

    ReplyDelete