Wednesday, April 14, 2010

It'll All Be Over Soon

Ever see Titanic?  If you did, remember the line a panicked mom whispers to her toddler as she stands on the deck as the ship is about to sink into the ocean?

"It'll all be over soon."

That is what I keep telling myself every day, feeling something a little similar to what the mother meant.  No, I am NOT dying. Nor do I mean to compare graduate school to a tragic death.  But it is painful.  And somewhat of a nightmare.  It is more overwhelming than I can imagine. And so stressful that I can't wait to see the end of it.

29 days until my grad project must be completed and brought to the bindery at CSFU. 29 days until I am done with post-bac school forever. 29 days until I can breathe again.  29 days until my home can have some semblance of order and I can stop resorting to having my baby watching Disney movies.  Though I have to admit, Lady in the Tramp is quite a good flick.  Don't you think?

29 days.

***********************************
Post script:  I guess I come across as complaining a lot.  Let me just recap the following two weeks so you can understand why my simple task of completing a grad school project has helped turn my life into a nightmare.


  • Horrible facial pain over Easter weekend that required constant icing of the face.
  • Two hours spent in Urgent Care on Monday, after finding out my regular doc was on vacation.  I was prescribed an antibiotic.
  • Facial and tooth pain that got increasingly worse throughout the day on Monday.  Enough that I called my dentist who told me it probably wasn't related to my teeth and more likely my sinuses.
  • Awake all night Monday with the worst pain I have ever experienced in life.  Much worse than giving birth.  Enough that I asked Lance to either a) take me to the emergency room or b) knock me out with a bat.  He did not do either, worried it would have a negative effect on my baby.
  • Almost passing out from pain while driving to the endodontist Tuesday morning. The Spirit whispered "Pull over now."  I did.  SCARY.
  • Receiving a root canal that took THREE hours to complete due to the insane infection in my tooth.
  • Finding out it takes 5 visits to the dentist to receive a permanent crown.  FIVE.
  • Also discovering I have to get another night guard once my crown is in place. AND my dental insurance has run out for 2010.
  • Realizing that my root canal and my crown will cost us $1000.  Good bye post-graduation cruise, my monthly house cleaner, and my babysitter for Elisabeth.  We just can't afford you.
  • Recently diagnosed with a UTI and blood pressure that keeps creeping up higher and higher.  Go figure.  My poor pregnant body can not handle all of this stress.  
The good news:  Novocain is God's nectar.  I almost kissed my endodontist when he took all of my pain away.  I started pre-natal yoga up again. Elisabeth is starting to talk in sentences. Lance has taken over doing the dishes. I get to go away for a weekend to scrapbook with my friends in April. Harry Potter #7 is supposed to come out in November. AND only 29 more days.  

I know this is what you all really want to see.  This is Elisabeth helping me make rice crispy treats. She and I have matching aprons.

6 comments:

  1. I got an emergency root canal last year and it was the worst! I feel for you. I hope you survive the next 29 days, and then maybe when things calm down we can go for some froyo or something. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! I totally feel your pain! When I was 6 months pregnant with Isabella a tooth I had already had a root canal and crown on went cuckoo for cocoa puffs and I thought I was going to DIE! Well, it started out as just a toothache and they referred me to an endodontist and she started the root canal (it was done in like 4 phases). Her work really stirred up the infection and it was INSANE pain that I have never felt before and hope to never feel again. The answering service didn't get turned out, so I had to suffer through the pain until the next day when I could get into Urgent care (of course it was the weekend). They gave me some Vicodin which I popped like House :) It was like a 4 weeks process and then they had me come in when Isabella was 2 months old to check it before we put the crown on it and the infection didn't clear I would have to have an apicoectomy (through the gum). But it was clear and I still haven't had the crown done. But I'm scheduled for September. Great - crown number 3 on this tooth. Argh! Sorry for the long comment and BTW Clark Izu in the Westpark Ward is an endodontist and will probably cut you a great deal if you ever need those services again! Maybe he could take over your care??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that you make too few rice crispy treats. I definitely think that you make too few rice crispy treats to share with the Bosworths

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling a fragment of what you're feeling. Richard will be out of school in less than a month too. Can't wait. Doesn't life feel like we're always waiting for the next break. Super cute apron! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, Kristi. I just read your blog. I had a root canal right before my Christmas vacation to your house. It was definitely not fun. I hope I never have to go through that again. I'm the type who doesn't take pain killers, but when prescription-strength ibuprofen did not work, all I could do was wait for the dentist's office to open in the morning so I could get my root canal. I was so happy when his office opened and he gave me the Novocaine shot. I was at his office before it opened. Children, BRUSH YOUR TEETH!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there! I'm thinking of you. Wish we lived closer so I could help make things a big easier :(

    ReplyDelete