Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Music to our ears

I think sleep training is the hardest thing about being a parent so far. Nothing stresses me out more than getting my baby to take good naps without it being a traumatic experience for both of us. Elisabeth needs her naps to function properly.

There were a few months where she wouldn't go down for a nap without crying. I persisted in forcing naps upon her even though my anxiety levels were quite high through the whole process. No one likes hearing their baby cry in protest for 10-20 minutes before the little one finally drifts off into the land of nod.

Just a few weeks ago she started to go down for a nap without a fuss and with a big smile on her face. She has replaced her crying with something much more enjoyable - singing! Elisabeth sings herself to sleep for her naps. I started putting on some quiet kid's music and giving her a small doll to hold in her crib. Apparently the combination of these two things make her happy enough to sing away until she finally gives in to sleep.

How cute is that?

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad she's taking to her naps better. That's a relief for all of you, I'm sure. I love that she sings, too!

    Garrett's never really had a problem going down to sleep, which has been very nice. But lately it's gotten even better: after lunch, he'll start whining and urging me to follow him. When I do, he leads me right to his crib and points inside indicating that he wants to go to sleep. It's awesome. I'm always more than happy to oblige. I put him in, give him his binky and silky blanket, and tell him to sleep well -- and he does. Seriously, of all his tricks, this one is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful to here. I too have troubles with getting mine to sleep at night but that has been coming quite easy these days with my dad's new schedule. Her singing is so cute. I wish that we could hear it. Adrianna always loved to listen to music too and have her blankie. Some kids are just more stubborn than others but if you work with them and keep to it no matter how hard it is they usually always will get used to it. We love you guys!

    Tera & Adrianna

    ReplyDelete