Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Six Hours


Six hours. That is how long she went between feedings last night. She slept for five of those hours. Hooray!!!! I took everyone's advice and put her to bed after her 8:30 p.m. feeding. No fussy time for us and she woke up at her usual time in the middle of the night. Poor kid. We were keeping her awake so we could get sleep and we were probably preventing her from getting the sleep she needed.

I have a feeling that I am giving the wrong impression about my baby to others. She really is a good, normal baby. She smiles lots, has never mixed up her nights/days, enjoys tummy time, nurses like a champ and is quite the snuggler. She is doing fine . . . I just need a little training because I feel like I am clueless sometimes. Parenting is really harder than I imagined. In my heart of hearts, I just wish she would hear my voice, fall into my arms and be soothed instantly. Oh yeah - and sleep through the night from birth. Funny how we have expectations as parents that aren't necessarily realistic.

As she snuggled down for her morning nap on my shoulder, I couldn't help but count my blessings. We are lucky to have such a sweet, loving little girl. Moments like that (and the fact she went six hours between feedings last night) make the tired, long days all worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to get a few hours of sleep. If you are like me though, you were still checking on her to make sure she was ok since she was sleeping longer than normal. Let's hope she keeps it up!

    Miss you!
    Schloopy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Sleep is always a good thing. :) And YES! Being a mother is hard. So much guesswork involved. But you won't always feel so clueless. Give a little time and you'll be feeling like a pro.

    ReplyDelete