Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Would you like a glove with your salad?

I stopped at Trader Joe's yesterday during my lunch break to pick up some tasty French Market Lemonade for Thanksgiving dinner. Since I hadn't packed a lunch, I decided to try one of their in-house made salads. (Note: I am finding that with the decrease of my nausea, there is a noted increase in my appetite and my stomach is slowly growing outwards. I eat much more often these days.)

I rushed back to my office and started devouring the Fiesta Chicken salad. After about 10 bites, I noticed that there was an odd looking piece of lettuce - a cream colored piece to be exact. After further examination, I discovered that this piece of lettuce was actually the finger tip of a rubber latex glove. I didn't dig around further to see if there was a finger or more of the glove. How does a piece of latex glove get into a salad????

As you can imagine, finding a rubber glove in your salad is quite disgusting and made me loose the little lunch I did eat. Since I didn't have any cash on me to buy something else, I munched on the Anise Licorice Scotty Dogs I purchased for my brother Tom for lunch.

After work, I trudged back to Trader Joe's to get my lousy $3.99 reimbursed. I didn't care about the money - I just wanted to show them what was in their salad. The manager was equally disgusted and eagerly gave me my money back AND nice bouquet of flowers. Though I will never buy a salad or any other in-house made food from them again, I do plan to continue to patronize their unique grocery store for such things like trail mix, French lemonade and cherry tomatoes.

I am thankful for these odd experiences...it is things like this that make my life unique and gives me material to write about on my blog.

3 comments:

  1. Um, yeah...that's gross. I'm glad the manager saw your side!

    Don't you love the 2nd Trimester Hunger? Well, maybe "love" isn't exactly the right term. It was better than feeling nauseous all the time, but it got old always having to pack snacks with me. Enjoy it, though, while it lasts. The 3rd Trimester Stomach Squishing makes otherwise pleasurable eating no so pleasurable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disgusting! I'll have to try the French Lemonade.

    ReplyDelete